Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Salmon Debate

Recently I had a conversation with a friend regarding wild vs. farmed salmon.  She had heard that farmed was better to eat since it contained less mercury.  I have been buying wild for some time now, so I was curious who was right. 


Via

In search for my answer I found an article from 2005 on Martha Stewart's website that sums everything up very well (click here to view it) and suggests that we consume wild salmon from Alaska. 

CNN also had a post regarding the debate, so see it click here.


Via

I also found this great organization - Blue Ocean Institute which provides a wonderful seafood guide that you can use to see which types of seafood are safe to eat.  All you need to do is select the fish from the drop down menu and see if it get a green, yellow, or red ranking (eat with ease, eat with caution, don't eat, respectively).  They even have an app called FishPhone that you can download so you can have the reference handy when you are at the grocery store. 

At the end of the day, you have to do what is best for your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...